Monday, April 30, 2018

Red Raven

No pestilence had ever been so fatal, or so hideous.
The scarlet stains upon the body and especially upon the face

Here was a sharp turn at every twenty or thirty yards, and each turn a novel effect.
The panes here were scarlet --a deep blood color. 

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.

And the silken, sad, uncertain rustling
Thrilled me—filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before

One by one dropped the revelers in the blood-bedewed halls of their revel
Bore aloft a drawn dagger, and had approached, in rapid impetuosity

Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
In there stepped a stately Raven of the saintly days of yore

Bird or beast upon the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
            
            With such name as “Nevermore.”

No comments:

Post a Comment